Bennett Aerospace, Inc. is headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina. Established in 2008, we are a woman owned, veteran owned, certified 8(a) small business that provides scientific, engineering, and technical advisory services to our customers. Primarily focused on Federal Government clients in general, and the Department of Defense in particular, Bennett Aerospace provides expert guidance and advice on the full spectrum of R&D and its applications in engineering, science, medicine, and IT, as well as providing strategic programmatic support in order to meet customer goals and objectives. Bennett Aerospace is a rapidly growing business focused on hiring and retaining the best people.
Bennett Aerospace, Inc. is seeking a highly skilled Computer Scientist to join our team supporting the Army Research Laboratory at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. The candidate will support the Battlefield Environment Division (BED), Computational and Information Sciences Directorate, Army Research Laboratory (ARL), at White Sands Missile Range, NM (WSMR) to support software development and applications of weather decision support tools and related capabilities. Focus of the support will be on BED’s Meteorological Sensor Array (MSA).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide daily full-time performance of a variety of computer science functions supporting the development of weather decision support tools implemented operationally and under development for future implementation.
- Provide support to atmospheric scientists working on research projects involving the computing skills which are best provided by the Computer Scientist. Thus, direct support to research projects shall be a key part of the workload when routine support duties are completed; ensuring critical research work is not significantly hindered due to computer problems.
- Knowledge/proficiency in hardware setup/configuration, as needed for compute cluster node programming and maintenance in support of the MSA System.
- Provide script creation support to the scientific staff to automate meteorological forecast model runs and corresponding verification databases for researchers’ use and provide support to the cluster system hosting meteorological modeling capabilities.
- Design, Develop, Operate, Maintain, Document and Administer a POSTGRES data base or equivalent to store and access meteorological and meta data gathered by and in support of the Meteorological Sensor Array (MSA).
- Design, Develop, Implement and Document custom support tools and methods to facilitate data collection, maintenance, and monitoring of the MSA hardware infrastructure.
- Design, Develop, Implement and Document custom interfaces to gather, reduce, display, and make available data gathered by the MSA.
- Design, Develop, implement and document scientific visualization and processing methodologies in support various research programs.
- Research and development of DSA Team cloud environment, supporting scalability of in-house developed (DSA Team) web services.
- Research and development of Ozone widget framework for DSA Team technologies.
- Research and development of data mining tools to support crowd-sourcing of weather data for:
- 1) decision support technologies and
- 2) weather forecast model initialization/supplementation.
Additional (sys admin work):
- MSA support – hardware, firmware, software implementation to support data collection and dissemination.
- RDENET – network design and hardware, firmware, software specification and implementation in support of internal research network
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of a BS is required. Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering, physics, or related field, or equivalent experience is strongly preferred.
- The individual must be articulate, adaptable and able to work with a variety of research professionals in academia, government, and industry.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Expert in spreadsheet development, manipulation, and management.
- Must be quick learner with new databases, portals, and systems.
- The individual should be adaptable, articulate, and able to work with a variety of professionals in government, academia, and industry.
- The individual must be able to work with diverse teams and provide quality input and recommendations aimed at ensuring good program success.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations in standard American English;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; and
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; and
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Clearance Level Required: Secret
- Applicants selected will be subject to a Government background investigation and must meet eligibility and suitability requirements.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain a US Government security clearance.
- Successful Pass of Bennett Aerospace Background Investigation, Drug Screening and Credit Check.
- Competitive market-based salary, commensurate with experience and education.
- Comprehensive benefits package available.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/ Veteran/ Disabled