What is OneHop Mentoring?
An easy-to-use platform that will allow you to build connections with JHU alumni. OneHop Mentoring builds purposeful connections between current students and selected alumni mentors. OneHop provides a community for alumni to network with one another, and to offer guidance to fellow alumni and students. Click here to join OneHop Mentoring!
Who We Are
Our aim is simple and clear. To have every Johns Hopkins student graduate with at least one meaningful mentoring relationship. Our team connects students with mentors for networking and mentorship opportunities via structured programs, flash mentoring, and discussion board groups. In addition, we create supplemental programming and events that further connect students and alumni via in-person, hybrid, and virtual settings. With the help of our Interns and volunteers, we are also able to provide continuous learning resources and engaging content.
Hopkins Connect Team
OneHop Mentoring is a collective process that aims to
- Encourage and support JHU students
- Create an environment that fosters career and professional development
- Empower students in the development of personal responsibility and independence
- Enrich students by offering opportunities for interaction with industry professionals
The program connects current students with alumni interested in a mentoring relationship for professional development and networking. The mentor will provide guidance and support to their mentee, to assist them with their professional development and career advancement. The platform makes mentor suggestions and/or a mentee can seek out a mentor based on their interests. The mentee must be prepared to initiate the professional relationship, one in which the mentee is willing to listen, learn and take initiative.
We are currently focused on perfecting the experience for alumni and current students. Faculty and staff are welcome to join the platform to explore or be an active participant as a mentor option or silent observer.
While other social media platform can be useful and should be in conjunction with OneHop Mentoring. OneHop Mentoring is unique in that:
- It is just for the Johns Hopkins community consisting of students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
- The platform has vast network of over 14,000+ alumni from all divisions that have opted-in to be contacted and provide help so no cold-calling or uncertainty about being a bother!
- Users are vetted and verified by Johns Hopkins staff.
- Faster replies are often received via the PeopleGrove provided software than on LinkedIn due to mentors having already opted in to be contacted and providing additional information about how they can help.
- Additional information about mentor student experience is provided that won’t be visible on LinkedIn allowing for bonds to form around shared identities and interests.
Create your account on the OneHop Mentoring platform after reviewing the resources provided.
Students can schedule 15- or 30-minute drop-in appointments via Handshake which will allow them to speak with Hopkins Connect staff about getting start, utilizing the features, finding a mentor, etc.
Faculty, staff, and alumni please fill out the contact form available here to have Hopkins Connect staff respond to your inquiry.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties you can submit a ticket from the platform to get assistance. Click on the large question mark that appears on the screen to start the ticket process or search for help articles.
- Students: Use their Johns Hopkins provided email account to create an account and for future logins. Even if they are considered alumni they need to use their JHU email account during sign-up so approval will not be required and they will have the appropriate platform access.
- Alumni: Create an account with their preferred method of LinkedIn (which will auto-fill some of their information) or select the email option and use an email account (that they will always have access to). All alumni must be verified before gaining access to the communication platform upon completion of registration.
- Faculty and Staff: Use your Johns Hopkins provided email account to create an account and for future logins. Even if you are considered alumni you need to use your JHU email account during sign-up so approval will not be required and you will have the appropriate platform access.
- There are 4 direct interaction options that JHU students can choose from on the platform:
- Groups: Focused discussion groups consisting of students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Group membership perks include the ability to ask questions, view comments and actively engage with other users based upon a similar affiliation or career related interest. (If you would like to participate once you are logged in click on the “Groups” tab and select “Join Group” if you identify a group you would like to join)
- Programs: designed to allow a mentor and mentee to build a relationship focused on collaboratively working on the completion of specific tasks as assigned by the program administrator. (If you would like to participate once you are logged in click on the “Programs” tab and select “Join Program“)
- Join the Community: flash mentorship option that allows students the opportunity to network, do informational interviews, and pick the brains of industry experts at any time with no set time limit. Click on “Explore the Community” to search for an alum to connect with.
- Pathways: Tailored step-by-step experiences to help you navigate to the next big step in your professional journey.
- No! Our staff and cohort of Interns work hard to:
- Support the various types of mentorship relationships thriving across campus within the various schools, departments, and student organizations.
- Create supplemental programming and events that further connect students and alumni via in-person, hybrid, and virtual settings.
- Develop continuous learning resources and engaging content.
Participants on the OneHop Mentoring platform receive a monthly newsletter and periodic communications through the year. It includes updates and helpful information for each user type. Following us on Instagram at onehop_jhu also allows you to stay in the know. We will also be expanding our reach to other social media platforms so stay tuned!
Feedback is essential to our success so we want to hear from you. Please fill out the contact form available here to have Hopkins Connect staff respond to your inquiry. We will also periodically collect information from you through survey as your opinion and feedback will help the program grow.