Gap Year Resources – 2024
Gap to Growth Year- Making the most of your Gap Year Planning
Embarking on a gap year can be an enriching and transformative experience for any students. It provides an opportunityto explore new avenues, gain valuable skills, and make a positive impact. However, it is essential to plan your gap yeareffectively to make the most of this valuable time.
When does the gap year hiring cycle begin?
- For most major organizations that processes opens in November and deadlines are often in March.
- More agile organizations often have rolling applications into April.
- Many of the AmeriCorps positions will being to open in April/Map and can often run hiring through September
- Peace Corps is a 6 month-1 year process, often with a launch date in August.
Designing Your Gap Year in Four Steps:
To make the most of your gap year, it’s essential to follow a systematic approach. Good Work suggests four steps to helpyou design your gap year effectively:
- Understand your why: Reflect on your purpose and focus for taking a gap year. Consider your passions, interests, and goals to align your experiences accordingly.
- Map what matters: Use reflective exercises to identify areas of interest and explore potential paths for your year. The Mapping of What Matters Reflection can assist you in this process.
- Articulate your skills and growth areas: Take stock of your existing skills and determine areas where you’d like to develop further. The Transferable Skills Sheet can help you identify your strengths and growth areas.
- Understand and name your needs and capacities: Consider your personal needs, capacities, and aspirations for the workplace. The Post-Grad Bridge Year Reflection Guide offers valuable insights to assist this reflection.
Where to find Gap/Bridge Year Programs:
- University Of Iowa , Gap Year Opportunities – comprehensive list of Gap Year opportunities by category
- AmeriCorps- Developed in 3 subsections, AmeriCorps offers a clearing house for non- profit organizations to post their positions.
- Catholic Volunteer Network – Offers the most comprehensive listing for service based programs (not all religiously affiliated)
- UVA Bridge Year Opportunites
Pre-Health/Med Focused Gap to Growth Year Resources:
- Gap Year Opportunities– Johns Hopkins Related Resources
- Relevant Experience – includes volunteering and clinical opportunities
- University Of Iowa , Gap Year Opportunities – comprehensive list of Gap Year opportunities by category – search health
- UVA Bridge Year Opportunities– includes bridge year programs, post-bac exploration (by category)