A Message From Our Director
Last year, we were conducting a training for our DEI Collective members: a group of top companies and organizations from around the world, and I was dismayed to find that only 50% knew what OPT/CPT are.
(If you don’t know what that is, I’ll explain in a moment.)
Last December, Emma and I were guests on the podcast: Talk Talent to Me. In it, we share that bringing on international students is one of the biggest missed hiring opportunities for companies.
As our esteemed colleague Dr. Roshni Rao puts it: “international students are the ultimate builders.”But our hiring partners sometimes don’t even know where to start/how to make it possible and then get overwhelmed by the mountain of jargon + policies before they make it to the next step.
We’ve put together an international student hiring guide for US-based employers and we can’t wait for you to read it. Give this a look- it could open up a whole new world of candidates for you.
P.S. OPT/CPT is defined in it – you can read it here.
Executive Director @ Hire Hopkins
Emma O’Rourke Powell (Associate Director)
Cris Vidal (Program Lead)
It can be intimidating to hire international talent, especially with myths circulating about the process. But what if the rumors of grueling processes and costly applications are actually false?
Introducing the “How To” guide by Hire Hopkins – your ultimate resource. Navigate the world of hiring international students confidently. No more second-guessing sources or letting exceptional candidates slip away. We’ve got you covered!
Future Fest 2023 – Registration is OPEN
Registration is open for Future Fest, including Hopkins first in person career fair on Homewood campus since 2019! There are 3 different ways to engage. For more information on dates and links to register, see below.
- In Person Career Fair: September 15th, 11am-3pm – We are welcoming employers back to campus for opportunities to meet face to face with students and help them explore your organization, discover internships/job opportunities, and build connections with you
- Virtual Career Fair: September 19th, 12-4pm – Engage with large amounts of students by registering for the virtual fair where you will host 30-minute group sessions on Handshake
- Student Organization Showcase: September 14th, 6:00-8:00pm – Prior to engaging with students at the career fair, network with student leaders to learn about the vision of their organization
Register now for CLE Connect
Wednesday, September 13, 6-8 p.m.
Meet exceptional Hopkins talent with a passion for innovation, enterprise, and leadership! We welcome alumni and other professionals in the fields of engineering, finance, marketing, consulting, product management, healthcare, public relations, and more to network with undergraduate and graduate students on the Homewood Campus. Register by Wednesday, September 6, and email Emily Myrick at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Become a Partner or Sponsor for JHU’s Premiere Hackathon, HopHacks!
HopHacks is JHU’s premier hackathon, conceived to help students explore new ideas and create new applications!
From September 15th- 17th, connect with hundreds of creative, driven, and entrepreneurial students from all over the country on the Johns Hopkins campus.
Sponsors will benefit from:
- Special access to a talent pool actively looking for internships and new graduate opportunities
- Increased brand awareness by distributing merchandise, offering unique and memorable hackathon prizes, and mentoring teams as they build their projects
Click below to partner or contact them directly at email@example.com.
Peabody Internship Pathways – new program launching in Fall 2023!
Are you an employer looking for creative talent?
Partner with the Peabody Institute to create internships within your organization. Internships can encompass work related to administration, teaching, production, and more.
- Help students develop key skills and gain tangible experiences in preparation for their future careers in an evolving 21st-century arts industry.
- In this academic year internship program, you will offer mentored skill-building opportunities intended to enhance undergraduate and graduate students’ learning while providing impactful career experiences and connections.
Recruit MBA and Master of Science – Carey Business School
Our team looks forward to working with you to plan your custom engagement this semester. Below are dates for our Industry Breakout series, where employers can brand their company and meet candidates through a fun virtual engagement.
- September 19, 2033, 4:30 – 6:00pm – Real Estate
- September 26, 2023, 4:30 – 6:00pm – Consulting
- September 27, 2023, 4:30 – 6:00pm – Healthcare
- September 28, 2023, 4:30 – 6:00pm – Technology
- October 2, 2023, 4:30 – 6:00pm – Financial Services
Showcase your company to Masters + Undergrad Talent @ our Industry Weeks
Please see the list of options below and fill out the following form if you are interested in getting special attention from our students.
1) Fall Industry Weeks
- Consulting: September 25-29
- Tech and Engineering: October 9-13
- Biotech: Oct 23-27
- Data and Analytics: Oct 30-Nov 3
- International Career Summit: Nov 6-10
2) Employer Site Visits
3) Social Responsibility Trips
Doctoral Talent for YOUR project
Would you like to work with a doctoral student on a company focused project? Our doctoral students ranging from: economics, political science, computer science, engineering, and many more are ready to share their expertise with you! Projects that work best are typically remote engagements that can be completed in approximately 100 hours. If you’re looking for a fresh set of eyes on a current challenge or want to tackle some of your wish list projects, reach out to the PHutures office today at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more and get connected with our doctoral talent!
U.S. Government and National Security Career Fair – School of Advanced International Studies
Friday, October 27 from 12:00-3:00 pm Join the School of Advanced International Studies at their new DC Campus (555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20001) and connect with their talented graduate students. Reach out to Julie Nussdorfer to participate email@example.com.
Host an Event with a JHU School
Here are three easy steps to connect:
- Log into Handshake – https://jhu.joinhandshake.com/
- Select Create an Event > On-campus: My company is hosting this event at a school
- Choose JHU as the host school and the name of the career center