UEL HomeStudents ❭ Federal Work Study

Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that pays a portion of the student’s wage. In some cases, FWS covers the entire wage, depending on type of position (i.e., America Reads, etc.).

  • Traditional (FWS): 70% Federal budget / 30% Employer budget
  • Community Service: 90% Federal budget / 10% Employer budget
  • America Reads: 100% Federal budget

How does it work?

Students with a FWS award have an advantage during the hiring process because the employer pays only a fraction of the total wage; the remaining portion is covered by the award. For example, if the job pays $10 per hour, the student receives the full $10 but the employer’s budget is charged on 30% (or) $3.00 per hour. There is no difference in how a student with FWS applies for a campus job, gets hired, and receives their pay – it is a budgetary difference only.

Students can use their FWS award for most all campus jobs. Therefore, do NOT limit your job search to only those positions that read ‘work-study required’. Instead, students should apply for all campus jobs that interest them and let the employer know that they have work-study during the interview. Once hired, the student will need to provide the employer with a copy of their on-line FWS Authorization Form. Using MyJHU, sign in to SIS and select the appropriate academic year, click on the FWS Authorization Form, save as a PDF, and email to your employer.

FWS Authorization Form

Students who are hired using work-study must provide their employer (hiring department) with a copy of their FWS Authorization Form. This is an on-line form available in SIS. The student must go to myJHU and sign in to SIS, select the appropriate academic year and click on the Federal Work Study Authorization Form. This form can be saved as a PDF to provide/email to the campus employer.

What is Hopkins Work Study?

Some students will see Hopkins Work-Study listed in their financial aid package, along with a dollar amount. If you see this line item in your package, please know that this is not Federal Work-Study. Hopkins Work-Study refers to money that you can earn by working on-campus through positions posted on the Office of University Experiential Learning’s SMILE platform, that do not require Federal Work-Study. Student jobs are posted daily and we typically have more openings than we fill.