UEL HomeStudents ❭ Get Paid

All students are paid semi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month unless otherwise noted. This includes students paid hourly and/or salaried.

If the 15th or last day of the month falls on a weekend or holiday, pay is issued the day before. You can always go to Employee Self Service to view your pay stub and/or see if a check has been issued for a particular pay date.


Effective February 20, 2023, TimesheetX will be the only accepted form of weekly timesheet submissions for hourly-paid and full-time enrolled student employees at all schools and business centers. All other forms of time keeping and entering will no longer be accepted for payment.

Visit TimesheetX Resource page for details.

All students who work for Johns Hopkins University may elect direct deposit to any financial institution in the continental United States participating in the Automated Clearing House.

How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?

  1. Log into myJHU
  2. From the HR icon, choose ESS.
  3. Click on “Payroll Information” and select direct deposit.
  4. Click edit to enter your bank’s routing number and account number (if you don’t have a bank account, a good option may be the JHU Federal Credit Union).
  5. Choose direct deposit as the payment method.
  6. check the disclaimer box and hit review before hitting save.

How do I change Direct Deposit?

  1. To cancel or change your direct deposit, go to myJHU
  2. From the HR icon, choose ESS
  3. Click on “Payroll Information” and select direct deposit.
  4. Click edit, and either ‘change’ your existing bank acoount information or delete all information to cancel.
  5. Be sure to check the disclaimer box, hit review, and hit save.

Payments will automatically be sent as paper checks (unless one has signed up for direct deposit) to the address registered in Employee Self Service (ESS). These checks have a 120 day limit to be cashed.

Lost, Stolen, or Outdated Checks

If you have lost your paycheck, had it stolen, or have not cashed your check within the 120 day limit, you must contact us at stujob@jhu.edu

Visit Payroll Cutoff Dates Schedule under Employer Information > Paying for details.

Academic Year: Full-time students may work no more than 19.99 hours per week during periods of enrollment. Scheduled breaks are considered time worked, and must be paid/included in the sum of hours worked during the week.

Academic Breaks & Holidays: During summer, winter vacation, and intersession, student employees may work up to 40 hours per week. Students may not begin working more than 19.99 hours until the Monday after the posted final exam period. Any hourly paid student who works in excess of 40 hours per week is required by law to receive overtime at time and half pay. On holidays students are paid their standard hourly wage.

Student earnings including Federal Work Study are subject to Maryland state tax. This is due to your local residency while here at school. The only exception to this tax rule is if you reside in another state and commute to and from school on a daily basis.

Students who are already in the university payroll system may submit and update their Maryland and Federal tax withholding exemption(s) directly online using the Employee Self-Service system.

Students who are currently claiming exempt from Maryland State and/or Federal tax withholding for their campus job and wish to continue exempt status, must re-file new Tax Exempt Withholding Forms on or before February 15th. This also applies to students who do not currently claim exempt, but wish to do so. 

You may be exempt from federal and state income taxation if your income falls below certain levels.
Visit Tax Office for more information.

The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) is a United States federal payroll contribution directed towards both employees and employers to fund Social Security and Medicare.

Academic Year

All student employees are exempt from FICA (Social Security tax) during the academic year provided they are registered at least half-time or performing independent research study. Consequently, during the summer months, FICA is withheld from any student of the university who is not enrolled in at least half-time course of study or engaged in independent research.


All student employees who are registered at least half-time or performing independent research study during the summer months (June–August) will be exempt from FICA tax. Those who do not meet “exempt” eligibility will have FICA tax withheld. Withholding of FICA will begin with the first pay date in June and end with the final pay cycle for August.

Summer Independent Research

Graduate students taking part in full-time summer independent research will be exempt from FICA upon their having officially enrolled for summer research work with the Office of the Registrar. Summer Independent Research forms are available in the Office of the Registrar (Garland basement) as well as most academic departments (Homewood campus). For more information regarding Independent Summer Research, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Non-Resident and Visiting Students

Students who are registered “non-resident,” as well as all visiting students who hold a campus student position, are subject to FICA tax withholding year-round.

Questions regularly arise regarding Fellowship payments to both undergraduate as well as graduate students. The most frequent of these questions pertain to the proper classification of payment. More specifically, whether the payment should be classified as a Wage/Salary or Fellowship – AND – are Fellowship payments subject to tax?

The University Finance, Tax Office, provides answers to these questions and many others; go to FAQ – Fellowship Payments. If you still have tax related questions for which you cannot find the answer, please contact the University Tax Office at tax@jhu.edu or 443-997-8688

This form reports your annual earnings as well as the amount of federal, state, and other taxes withheld from your paycheck. To print a copy of your W-2, please follow the instructions below. Students who earn an hourly wage and/or salary from the University will be issued a W-2 form on or before January 31.

How to get your W-2

Active Students: First, you will need to go to the Employee Self Service (ESS) website to verify your address and choose how you want to receive your W-2 form: electronically or by mail.

  • For Electronic W-2 Access: If you want to access your W-2 online, you will need to complete an online consent using ESS by December 31. Please visit the W-2 forms information web page for step-by-step instructions regarding the consent process.
  • To Receive Your W-2 in the mail: If you do not complete the consent by December 31, your W-2 will be mailed to the permanent address in your ESS record. Your W-2 will be mailed to you by January 31 of the new year. If that is the option you prefer, it is still important that you go to the ESS page to make sure your permanent address is up to date.
Terminated Students: Student who have been terminated from the university payroll system will receive a copy of their W-2 by mail. This is true even if you previously elected to receive your W-2 electronically. Thus, you should confirm that HR Payroll Shared Services has your current mailing address. You can reach HR Payroll Shared Services by calling 443-997-5828.

Have Questions about your W-2?

For problems accessing your W-2, please call 443.997.5828. For questions about information on your W-2, please email tax@jhu.edu or call 443.997.8688